I don't recall the event that aggravated me, but I remember animatedly, loudly, tearfully expressing my aggravation to my dad about my name being Faith, "I hate my name! Why did you name me this awful name?! Why didn't you name me a pretty name?" Dad called me into his study, sat me on his lap, and said, "I want to tell you a story." I was somewhere around 6-8 years old.
Dad explained that Mom and Andy (next older sibling) both very nearly died when Andy was born. (Mom was a severe Type 1 diabetic along with various other health problems.) Because of that the doctor made it plain to Mom and Dad that they were not to have any more children.
Five years later, however (ha! don't you love all of us howevers?!), they found out that they were going to have another baby! The doctor was very upset and insisted that they should not let this baby be born. Mom could die; the baby could die; both Mom and baby could die--lots of sad scenarios. Dad might be left to raise three or even four children by himself. They were to go home and think about what the doctor had said and be ready to discuss this at the next appointment. Mom and Dad said they didn't need to think about it. They would pray about this situation and trust God that both Mom and baby would be safe, but even if both weren't, then God would give them the grace and strength to face and get through a difficult experience.
While they were waiting for the baby to be born, the doctor again and again pressured them not to let this baby be born, but they prayed and prayed and asked everybody they knew to pray too. When the baby--a girl!--was born, they had a name picked out to name her, but when he held her in his arms, he said, "She's only here by faith. We must name her Faith!"
Well, that explained why Brother Fred Watson always called me "the Faith child" and "the miracle girl"! I had been so annoyed that he always called me that and fussed over me. Now, it was great. (Bro Watson and Dad were doing some evangelistic work together back then. Actually, when I was born, Bro Watson made it to the hospital and saw me before my dad did!)
As I key this, I still sense the awe I felt that day Dad told me his story. That was ME?! I was that baby?! What a wonderful story! What a wonderful name! :)
Dad continued that the doctor said I probably wouldn't live long, but they would keep an eye on me to help me all they could. With each subsequent appointment, he couldn't believe I was healthy and thriving. It was because of faith! The devil had tried to keep me from being born, but God gave me life! God surely had a special plan for my life. When I reached my first birthday, they rejoiced again that the devil's plan had been defeated and faith in God had brought LIFE! Every birthday of my life should be a celebration of that defeat and our victory by faith.
(Obviously I was having a bad hair day! lol) So my birthdays have always been a day of rejoicing. I've never tried to hide a birthday. I've never tried to hide how many birthdays I've had. Why would I? Every one has been a gift from God!
In an email from my big brother, Tim, today he said,
- I am thinking of the day, nearly 48 years ago, when I came home from school and PRESTO! There was a baby lying on the couch! My new sister! I don’t remember knowing there was a baby coming. You just showed up!
I was a proud big brother. Somehow, probably with money from Mom and Dad, I bought you a little pink squeezy, squeaky teddy bear, that I thought you liked better than all your other toys. It was my gift to you!
You have added joy to our family! Happy Birthday Again!
Isn't he an awesome big brother?!! :) I responded that he has told me that before (altho I enjoy hearing it every time he tells me!) and I have long wondered, "How did the family experience 9 months of a pregnant mother and a very bright 9 year old never have a clue that a baby was ready to be born—especially with all the prayer they were requesting!" That amazes me.
He sent a message back:
- People just did not talk about pregnancy in those days. Mom was sick and in the hospital different times. I don’t know how it happened that I did not realize what was happening, but I’m glad Mom and Dad had the faith to risk all.
Wow. What a heritage we have. What a legacy of faith. (no pun intended! lol)
For some months I have been wishing for an mp3 player. Guess what Ken's parents' gift was? :) I'm not an earphones person, so Ken complemented their gift with a nifty little speaker.
Most years since Ken & I have been married, we have been at a Chinese restaurant for my birthday meal. The last 11 years have been at Mandarin House in Knoxville. I seriously considered getting out of the rut this year, but when push came to shove... we ended up at Mandarin House. Tasty but, yeah, a little boring.
Just as we were preparing to leave, however, we heard music start and could not resist hanging around for a little while--it was a man playing a steel drum! We love the sounds from this instrument. (Several years ago we were privileged to watch a group of steel drummers in Opryland Hotel. That was unbelivable!! Since then we have purchased several "Carribean" CD's just to hear steel drums.)
Celebrate YOUR GIFT of LIFE! :)

4 comments:
Happy belated birthday!
Hope you had a wonderful birthday!!
I don't know if the Madarin house is a RUT or a TRADITION...but I'm glad you got to go. I'm just curious as to why they would have steel drums at a Chinese restaurant? Happy Belated birthday. Hope we can get together soon.
Post a Comment