Monday, October 13, 2008

Celebrating a Family MileMarker

My husband Ken's parents, Ken & Donna Young, were married on October 11, 1958, which being interpreted is, FIFTY years ago--a Golden Anniversary! Instead of letting them have a second honeymoon (jk), the family coordinated a weekend getaway in a mountain cabin near the little town of Ellijay (north of Atlanta, GA) to celebrate their 50-year milestone.



I have to put this note in here. :) Shortly after Ken & I started dating, my Uncle Jim & Aunt Georgine came to visit with us for a Cooley family event. When I introduced Ken to them, Uncle Jim said, "I used to go to school with a Ken Young. He played trumpet in a trumpet trio which I accompanied on the piano, and I stood up for him at his wedding, but I have no idea where he is now." Sure enough, Uncle Jim and Ken's parents attended school together and Uncle Jim was in their wedding all those years ago! What a coincidence! Small world...





My sister-in-law, Christine, is far more a shutterbug than I am, and she happily (I think!) agreed to share her pictures with the rest of the family. She did a fabulous job taking pictures as well as chronicling the weekend, so be sure to see these posts on her blog to see what a wonderful weekend and celebration we had!





Anniversary Weekend - Check out the awesome accommodations at Rivers Bend cabin! Ken & I stayed in the Bear room. My favorite feature of the cabin was the front porch. The most un-favorite feature was the driveway. Wayyyyy too steep.



Congratulations... Celebrating 50 Years Together! - photos of the celebrities :)



Anniversary Dinner - The GPS system took us round Robin Hood's barn and all his fields and back 40's to reach the Toccoa Riverside Restaurant. Most of the route was on a one-lane dirt road. We wondered how in the world a restaurant so far out in the boonies could even manage to stay in business. When we finally arrived, however, we discovered a much better route to get back to the cabin--on main roads, no less! Back at the cabin, I really enjoyed listening to the family conversation as Dad & Mom Young opened their cards and reminisced about the people who had sent them anniversary greetings.



More Weekend Fun - I think every household brought a bag/box full of games. We didn't play half of them, but we did have a great time playing the ones we played.



Family Photos - Best of all, it was just fun being together... and when you have the entire family together, you better get snappin'! We were so happy that Mom's sister and husband, Don & Lois White, were able to be with us for the weekend. (Uncle Don is Ken's hero!)








Wow, just doing this post, I feel this sentiment all over again: What a heritage!

Congratulations and thank you, Dad & Mom Young!

1 comment:

Doug said...

Thanks for the beautiful narrative of Uncle Ken and Aunt Donna's anniversary. I wish we could have been there!

Doug