Monday, December 1, 2008

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Just shortly before Thanksgiving, Ken found out that he would not have to work the Friday after Thanksgiving, so Thanksgiving morning found us going "over the river and through the woods" (although not to Grandmother's house!) to Charlotte, NC. We smelled all the glorious aromas of the Thanksgiving meal as soon as they opened the door. Yum! Everything was perfectly delicious and fully enjoyed.

Thursday evening and the better part of Friday was taken up with scrapbooking. I think I'm finally on the homestretch of scrapbooking our formal wedding pictures--I've been working on this for a year already! (In my defense, however, I only work on it when we all get together to scrapbook.) I couldn't find the embellishments I wanted (even though I bought 5 or 6 packets that weren't the right thing!), so I decided only to decorate with paper. No glitter, foil, brads, stickers, etc. It's been fun being creative.

No, we (Ken & I) did not go shopping. We have been there done that before, and we didn't find it either fun or conducive to the holyday spirit! lol In the space of perhaps two hours the year we went out, like three times someone gave my shoe a "flat tire," someone was vigorously yanking my cart trying to take it for themselves, and several someones were caught red-handed trying to steal things out of my cart! (We finally covered our treasures with our jackets until we could get through checkout.) And the fun didn't stop there! Twice in the parking lot, while we were jammed amongst the exit traffic, someone backed into our car. One man walked right by my window, hopped in and revved his pickup, put it in reverse and * BAM! * right into the side of our car. I barely had time to holler, "He's gonna hit us!" Not that it helped any. Then he had the nerve to get out and say, "Sorry, I didn't see you." So, no, we didn't go shoppin'!

Since we were only an hour from my dad's brother, Dan, and his wife, Anna, we spent most of the day Saturday with them. You can't find people any better with whom to visit. They are so full of praise to the Lord and testimonies of God's goodness that the blessing just spills all over you too! We took our laptop to show them lots (prolly too many!) pictures of the extended family. Eventually there were just too many babies to keep track of and everyone started blurring together. lol But they did enjoy seeing everybody. Oh yeh, their daughter, Cheri, stopped in for a while too, so she got to see most of the photos we shared too.

From there Aunt Anna asked Uncle Dan to sing a song together that their son, David, composed, "A Blessing in Disguise." Wow, what a song! He needs to get it recorded and promoted. People will be blessed.

Uncle Dan

Aunt Anna

"A blessing in disguise" was the topic the right on through supper and sitting around the table afterwards. One testimony shared was the account of how God worked through my car breaking down to bless me with a husband! :) (You just never know what lurks beneath a hood! lol) Telling that story is always fun. :)

Interesting tidbit: Uncle Dan told me my dad's nickname when he was little was "Skippy." I had never heard that before.

The trip back home on Sunday was miserably long. Somehow it seems that every time we are away for Thanksgiving, that Sunday is cold, dreary and rainy. To make matters worse, we got snarled in traffic due to a 500-foot construction zone and inched along the interstate during the last two hours of daylight. Since it was through the most winding stretch of the mountains and there were looney bins out there, the slow-go may have been yet another blessing in disguise. Above all, we arrived home safely. God protected us every mile! :)

No comments: