Saturday, August 30, 2008

What goes up must come down...

I first thought to title this post "Up, Up and Away!" --serious cliche notwithstanding--but basically we saw these hot air balloons briefly sailing above us and then showering all around us.





Our stay-cation plans abruptly changed and we packed up and went to visit Ken's parents for a week while Ken did one last job application "blitz" for 2008. When we arrived, Mom was excitedly telling us about a hot air balloon they had watched come down (intentionally) the evening before. Hot air balloon fest was for the whole weekend and a contest was on that evening, and would we like to go on a hot air balloon chase? You betcha!





We piled in their van and took off. Close to Anderson we started seeing the balloons wafting close by and this one landed in a parking lot just to our left, so we darted in there and watched the process from landing to pack-up.








Letting the air out of the balloon and pulling the panels straight.



Folding and bundling.


All folded and bundled, ready to be placed in the canvas bag.


Placing in the big canvas tote.






The trailer that transports the paraphernalia.



Just as that balloon was being packed into the trailer, we noticed lotsa balloons off to the west. Mom asked a few nearby spectators where they were located and off we dashed again.


We found a place to park near the airport and two balloons appeared to be ready to land... and then swooshed upward and floated away. Mom took this photo. I think it's postcard perfect. And then the chase was on again!



As we were stopped at this traffic light, just ahead of us, a balloon landed in the middle of the road and the pilots (is that what they are called?) were firing up in spurts trying to get out of the way as traffic swerved around them. After five or six "hops" they were across the lane and finally up over the curb. Mom was thankful we weren't closer... I was disappointed we weren't! lol


Finally we spotted shopping center parking lots on both sides of the road where the balloons were coming down seemingly all at once. The sky was falling! lol A lot of balloons were in the lot to the left, but rather than taking up our time to make a left turn, we hurried into the lot on the right, jumped out, and scurried to the edge of the lot/grass where they were landing. So exciting!! I hardly knew where to look because they were everywhere!



Judging by the speed and angle this one was coming down, we were pretty sure this one would land right in front of us.


A gust of wind blew this balloon into another one just landing.







I love the designs and vibrant colors. They are so beautiful!



This one I mentioned earlier DID land right by us. I waited and waited to get a shot of the fire. No go. Finally, as we were walking away, I heard the whoosh and got this picture. :)






3 comments:

Dorcas said...

Looks like a fun time!

Belinda said...

Very neat!! I would love to take a ride in one.

LaDonna said...

Oh, I love hot air balloons!! This would have been totally cool to see, my boys would've been thrilled.