Just found out today that Tony & Juanita Cooley have a new business starting May 1st: the Pillow General Store & Restaurant in, well, Pillow, PA. Tony's dream is finally coming true. We are sooooo happy for him!Tony has enjoyed cooking and bringing smiles to people's faces with his efforts since he was just a kid. His first specialty was grilled cheese sandwiches. Ken was a great "customer" since grilled cheese is one of his favorite eats! (One of the times Ken & I met Andy at the Golden Corral in Sevierville recently, Ken came back to the table from the buffet. I said, "What in the world? You're coming to Golden Corral for grilled cheese?!" Andy laughed and revealed that just before he had seen Ken's plate he had almost said, "Did you see the grilled cheese up there? Who in the world is coming here and eating grilled cheese sandwiches?!" Ken piped, "Me, of course!")
While Andy was associate pastor at the Lebanon God's Missionary Church, Tony worked in the pizza shop across the street from the parsonage. He was so thrilled to make a real pizza for us, and we were thrilled to eat it! Yum!
Several years ago, Tony gave the extended family a very creative Christmas present: he cooked breakfast for the whole family gang! Whew, he needed a restaurant that morning! He was flying around the kitchen. Eggs, sausages, bacon, toast, coffee, orange juice... can't remember what else he had now, but he went all out for us. We told him he could do that again any Christmas he wanted to!
He had hoped to open a pizza shop several years ago and gathered most of the equipment needed to do so but then had to sell it when plans didn't work out. What didn't sell were three pizza ovens! Now he is installing them in the restaurant so he can add pizza to the menu.
I haven't eaten much of Juanita's cuisine, but what I have eaten has been excellent! Each fall she is part of a group who make and sell pumpkin roll that is to die for. (Makes my mouth water thinking about it.) I am not a cole slaw eater, but Juanita's recipe works for me! I know I have eaten other things she has made, but I can't think of them at the moment.
The Pillow General Store & Restaurant has been open at least minimal hours under other management so it comes to Tony & Juanita complete with customers. I think with the longer hours, pizza on the menu and such friendly proprietors, they are going to have a winner on their hands! Best wishes for your success, Tony & Juanita!
P.S. Ken read my post and exclaimed, "Oh, yeah! When we go to PA, we're eatin' there!" Fire up the grill, Tony, we're on our way! :)

2 comments:
We will have to check out the store in December, while we are there. I am very happy for them!!
Congrats to Tony & his wife on their new venture.
Post a Comment