Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Who'da thunk it?

It was a bright and sunny afternoon... that turned into a dark and dreary night!

Late Sunday afternoon, Ken went out to start the car while I finished up doing something or other. I heard him crank the engine several times without the engine starting. My heart sank. A couple moments later he came back into the house saying, "You're not going to like this: the car won't start."

You have to understand that some years ago we purchased a car in a similar situation. An older man had been the sole owner of the car. He had taken good care of it, maintained it, never had any mechanical trouble with it, etc. We were getting "a great car." My mind figured it this way: the man had gotten his money's worth from the car; now we were going to make all the repairs for which it was ready! The salesman assured us repeatedly that my thinking was illogical and that this car was "a solid car." Since this #1 salesman (loadsss of awards) was also a good Christian man we had known for years and many people came from miles around (even other states--like us!) to purchase vehicles from him, we finally overrode our gut feelings and bought the car.

The very next morning we were to make a trip. Ken went out to start it--nope! The dealer sent a tow truck to rescue us and a loaner vehicle to use for a week. When we finally got the car back home (in the other state), one thing after another broke down. Before the 60-day warranty ended, the car had been in the shop more than in our parking spot. Just barely within the warranty time, we were able to prove that the head gasket was blown, which didn't make for a very happy dealer (understatement!). Over the next almost two years that we had that car, we were stranded so many times and paid to repair so many things...

So now you know especially why my heart sank Sunday afternoon! This "déjà vu all over again" was a most unwelcome feeling. Although this car had come from a somewhat similar situation, it really did seem to be better taken care of and had fewer miles on it and ... it was a week after buying it instead of the next day. Yeh, like that really matters now!


Ken went through each step he had taken: inserted key, tried to start car, then realized it was the key to Pete (an easy mistake to make since both cars are gray '97 Buick LeSabres and have the same kind of keys); removed Pete's key, inserted proper key for Repeat, and tried to start car. Aha! That made me think that the security system might be the problem. Ken, however, thought it seemed like the engine wasn't getting fuel, so he dashed for the gas can while I flipped through the owner's manual. We were both right! When the car thinks a theft is in progress, as when an incorrect key is inserted, the oh-so-capable security system shuts down the starter and the fuel injection system. Indeed, the engine was not getting fuel!

Time was getting away from us, so we locked up Repeat and jumped in Pete and left. We thanked God that at least Repeat was stranded in our driveway instead of Timbuktu!

Sunday night we read the manual more closely. After inserting an incorrect key, we needed to wait 3 minutes before inserting the correct key and everything would be wonderful. Except the car still wouldn't start! Throughout Monday and Tuesday I researched the problem online, found hundreds of other people's complaints about the same problem with the incredibly flawed and frustrating GM Pass-Key security system, tried various stunts suggested, and came up empty. Talk about anti-theft--this system is anti-owner!

At this point, everything I read online was pointing to having the car towed to the dealer who would reset the security system for a rather sizable fee. I called the dealer to see what advice the service department might give. Heh, that was predictable! "Let me call the tow guy to bring it in and we'll look at it and see what's the matter. If you already did all those other things you said you did, then something mechanical is wrong, but never fear, we'll find it and fix it for you."

As a last ditch effort, I called our mechanic Tuesday afternoon to see if he had any idea what to do about our scenario. He knew exactly what I was talking about, my first ray of hope! He thought the problem was security and not mechanical, but the car would have to be towed in so he could check it out and he wasn't certain he could solve the security issue. He has proved himself trustworthy over the years we've been going to his garage, so I agreed to have the car towed there in the morning.

Several strong showers came through our area during the evening. About 1:00 AM, we suddenly heard a car horn beeping regularly and repeatedly. I jumped up and ran to the front door. "I hope that's not our car!" So much for hoping. The headlamps were flashing, the horn blaring. Thankfully the rain had slowed to a drizzle--see, I told you it was a dark and dreary night! I darted out and unlocked the door to turn off the security alarm. Crazy thing! The only time the alarm had gone off was when I had tested it on Monday afternoon. Why was it going off at 1 AM?!

I locked up, waited for the security light to stop flashing (indicating a reset), and took about five steps before the lights started flashing, the horn started blaring. I turned around and unlocked the door again. Twice more I repeated this maneuver, finally actually making it back inside the house about 1:35. Whew!

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Oh noooooooo! It was 3:00 AM, and our alarm was going off again! I ran out again, only into a slight drizzle thankfully, and unlocked the door. This time I manually locked everything. Good grief, at this rate, we might get ousted from the community!

When I woke up later in the morning, I knew our backs were to the wall and there was no point in delaying calling the tow truck. Watching Repeat rolling away was no easy task. It just felt like "here we go again!" (I guess we should have expected that out of a car named "Repeat"!)

Less than an hour later, the phone rang. Our mechanic was calling to say, "Come pick up your car!" Praise the Lord, everything mechanical was ship-shape (our mechanic is very impressed with Repeat's condition!) and the security system was reset. What relief!!

The manual (and the dealers/salesmen) impresses on the owner the importance of not losing the Pass-Key because it is a costly key to replace. Not a syllable is said about the incredible importance of absolutely no other key ever being inserted into the ignition!

The manual directs the owner to wait three minutes before inserting the correct key. Nope. It's ten times worse! Also all the info I found online was not specific enough about the simple but precise "fix." Insert the key into the ignition, turn it to just short of cranking the engine, start the stopwatch. Exactly ten minutes later, remove the key, wait one-two seconds before reinserting and repeating the process. Exactly ten minutes later, repeat process again. After three rounds, remove key, reinsert and crank it up. The car should start!

All that because of one simple, little mistake of inserting a wrong key! Who'da thunk it?!

P.S. My nephew, Paul Jr, suggested that to avoid a reoccurence, Uncle Ken should mark the keys to one of the cars with some of his fluorescent green paint! ;)

1 comment:

Leah said...

Faith - that happened to us right after we had bought our Pontaic Montana a few years back. I think I can actually blame that on one of the kids but I won't!!! Glad you got the problem fixed!